(Applies to: all versions of FusionBB)
On a server, a Cron Task is an automated task, which automatically executes on a recurring basis.
A typical cron task might send out email subscriptions daily to users who have subscribed to various topics. These are typically configured on your server or by your web host. Since not everyone has access to this functionality on their webservers, we have built in cron tasks in FusionBB. These allow various tasks to automatically execute as needed.
- Examples of various cron tasks:
- Update Topic Views - To reduce load in FusionBB, rather than updating topic views in real time, we cache them and updated them periodically via a cron task. To delay the insert of topic views, make sure the Update View Count option is NOT checked in your configuration settings.
- File Attachments - periodically we need to purge file attachments for posts which never get finished or get deleted.
- Unattached Polls - periodically we need to purge polls from the database for posts which never get completed or get deleted.
- Expire Bans - since we have time based bans, we periodically need to review and restore access to users when bans expire.
- Optimize Active Tables - various database tables which purge data regularly tend to show increased overhead. These tables can be optimized automatically via a cron task.
- RSS Subscriptions Fetch - if we are including RSS feeds, periodically we need to update them.
- RSS Publication Generator - if we are publishing RSS feeds, periodically we need to update them so that they stay current.
- Expire Page Cache - If you are caching pages, this will periodically purge the stored cached pages.
- Topic Subscriptions - Will periodicallly process and send emails for topic subscriptions. Suggested setting is direct 10. Since this runs frequently and if you have alot of users or subscriptions, running via real cron is recommended.
- Queue Mail - will process through any sent mass emails. This cron is required for mass emails to work. Suggested setting is direct 10. If you have many users, a mass email could be load intense for this task, running via real cron is recommended.
- Expire Registrations - will purge unverified user registrations.
- Crons available in 2.1:
- Expire Topics - will process and purge outdated topics from forums.
- Expire Moved - will process and purge outdated MOVED and MERGED pointers.
- Expire Private Topics - will process and purge outdated Private Topics.