FusionBB

Please See the FusionBB End Of Life Announcement

FusionBB Review (large)
FusionBB SWAG!

FusionBB golf shirts, t-shirts, mousepads and more.

Tagging
FusionBB hosting
provided by VertexHost.com
Username Post: What Hosting provider does everyone use?        (Topic#4163)
White and Nerdy
FusionBB Fanatic
Total Posts: 1678
Birthday: 09-21 
Average Post Ranks%:                       
04-22-06 04:56 PM - Post#32966    

To start a new thread here relating to web hosting, and for my own information later on,

what hosting provider do you all use?

currently, I'm using Micfo.com who up until reciently have been very happy with. Only problem I've had, is that when they decide to give new customers more space when prices of hardware change, the old customers have to pay a $100 one-time fee for upgrading to what new customers are getting, which I don't care for too much. Confuses me when my needs change later on. Normally webhosts just upgrade old customers for free, but Micfo does not, so it kinda bothers me some.

other then that, I've been very happy with them.

anyway, if that $100 fee becomes an issue later on, just wondering what everyone elses uses so I can keep these options later if I need to switch at some point.

I have Vertexhost in my file already, just looking for other solutions to keep in mind as I shop around.

what i tend to look for are things like:

CPanel / WHM / Fantastico (either reseller or support for 2-3 domains thru WHM instead of using CPanels addon domain thingy that doesn't work half the time)

paypal billing
Shell access

other then that, I pretty much don't care, just can't afford more then $10 a month right now.

mainly just wondering what everyone else uses out of curiousity?
www.tcoburn.com an archive of my ramblings for those who miss reading them. hehe!
My Facebook Profile

greg
FusionBB Fanatic
Total Posts: 4989
Average Post Ranks%:                       

04-22-06 09:54 PM - Post#32972    

In response to White and Nerdy

VertexHost here.

American Patriots

Tombstone Pictures

Monkeyra
Chief Internet Man of Europe
Total Posts: 2027
Birthday: 05-05 
Average Post Ranks%:                       

04-23-06 03:57 AM - Post#32979    

In response to greg

I've got a couple of servers from liquidweb.com

www.fordmondeo.org

Dan
Alpha Tester
Total Posts: 1314
Birthday: 05-04 
Average Post Ranks%:                       

04-23-06 02:04 PM - Post#32993    

In response to Monkeyra

I am with www.hartserver.net
www.parent-forum.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter

White and Nerdy
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       
04-23-06 11:16 PM - Post#33011    

In response to Monkeyra

• Monkeyra Said:
I've got a couple of servers from liquidweb.com

I've actually considered going with a VPS solution before, they seem pretty neat
www.tcoburn.com an archive of my ramblings for those who miss reading them. hehe!
My Facebook Profile

bloodygoodbloke
FusionBB Contributor
Total Posts: 190
Birthday: 07-07 
Average Post Ranks%:                       
04-24-06 07:24 AM - Post#33025    

www.servage.com

The Alternative Chat Forum

http://www.chinesedresses.co.uk

Ian
FusionBB Fanatic
Total Posts: 1236
Birthday: 05-01 
Average Post Ranks%:                       
04-24-06 04:09 PM - Post#33030    

In response to bloodygoodbloke

My own

White and Nerdy
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       
04-25-06 10:24 PM - Post#33081    

In response to bloodygoodbloke

• bloodygoodbloke Said:

seemed too good to be true at first glance, until I noticed, no cpanel/WHM/shell. Sometimes I wonder if they'll ever be a host for me
My Facebook Profile

Honda Guru
FusionBB Enthusiast
Total Posts: 287
Birthday: 05-30 
Average Post Ranks%:                       
04-25-06 10:36 PM - Post#33083    

I use Vertex host. JoshPet is a part owner in the company, enough said....

I have had impeccable service and quick tech support response.

Grant Swaim
aka Honda Guru
Site Administrator
autotech-elearning.com
digitalliteracyproject.com

chillin
Total Posts: 46
Birthday: 02-19 
Average Post Ranks%:                       
05-02-06 10:48 AM - Post#33311    

In response to Honda Guru

i have numerous sites hosted with dreamhost.com

at first glance it would appear to be too good to be true, but it is all true.

for another client i have also picked up a Virtual Dedicated Win2k3 server from godaddy.com. Good price, ample bandwidth (500GB) but I don't like their admin tools.
timmyc
chinooktc.com

White and Nerdy
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       
05-02-06 06:18 PM - Post#33349    

In response to chillin

I thought about going with a virtual dedicated from godaddy, but their linux plans don't come with cpanel/WHM, and shell access, which I can't live without. I'm finding it extremely difficult to find a decient host,
My Facebook Profile

Stephen
Mostly Harmless
Total Posts: 2514
Birthday: 11-26 
Average Post Ranks%:                       

05-02-06 09:53 PM - Post#33351    

I am using Vertex but may investigate colocation or dedicated server at somepoint in the future.

my business associate has his own hosting service, and rates may be of interest to you...

http://solidityhosting.com/
Stephen Dolenski
FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
FM Forums.com Administrator

don Quixote
FusionBB Contributor
Total Posts: 182
Birthday: 03-14 
Average Post Ranks%:                       

05-06-06 01:15 PM - Post#33511    

• bubazoo Said:
I thought about going with a virtual dedicated from godaddy, but their linux plans don't come with cpanel/WHM, and shell access, which I can't live without. I'm finding it extremely difficult to find a decient host,

I used to be with HostRocket.com and I had shell access and CPanel. I think they only have one plan now for shared servers and it's about $8. For that price I donĀ“t know if they still let you have shell access.

White and Nerdy
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       
05-06-06 01:30 PM - Post#33512    

In response to don Quixote

thanks according to their website, the $8 price is only if you pay for 24 months at a time, and the "unmetered" bandwidth makes me nervous
its like $12 monthly, which still isn't bad, but still unmetered kinda bothers me
My Facebook Profile

PatrickD
FusionBB Contributor
Total Posts: 161
Birthday: 03-06 
Average Post Ranks%:                       
05-13-06 01:18 PM - Post#33763    

In response to chillin

• chillin Said:

Have you installed FusionBB on DreamHost?
If so, have you figured out how to get the RSS to work? I can't subscribe to RSS feeds on my DreamHost-hosted forum (as documented here: http://www.fusionbb.com/forum/showtopic.... )
-PatrickD
Webmaster: Adequate.com / AnimeCons.com / Seraphic

chillin
Average Post Ranks%:                       
05-20-06 12:00 AM - Post#33941    

In response to PatrickD

Patrick-
Yes i'm running fusion on my dreamhost account, but dhost disables the php function file_get_contents() that fusion uses for rss feeds.

I have had the same issue with a few other scripts I have used and have replaced file_get_contents() with curl.

I haven't had time to hash/hack this out to work on dreamhost but i'm guessing the fix wouldn't be too tough.

I'll post when i have it figured out.
timmyc
chinooktc.com

White and Nerdy
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       
05-21-06 12:04 PM - Post#33955    

In response to chillin

perfect example of why I went with a VPS solution.

in my case, it started out being the webhost wouldn't install the pear modules for me for captcha, and then I had problems with imagemagick so many times and having to practically 'beg' the host for imagemagick, that I finally said to myself "enough of this" and researched my options for root access, and discovered that a VPS solution fit my needs alot better, then say dedicated or outsourced which was much more expensive.. WIth a VPS, i get the best of both worlds, its alot like a reseller account only with root access to your private virtual account.. kinda like vizaweb's semi-dedicated plan so to speak..

at first, I thought that I could go with a different host who would be a little more 'leanient" about installing these things for me, but what I found out was, the more leanient they were about it, the more downtimes I seemed to have, so I learned real quick that, that wasn't going to be the best solution..

I've had a VPS now for almost a month, and besides problems setting up the VPS (they manage it yourself, but your responsible for installing software and such which I had to figure out how to actually do) but once I did, I haven't had any downtimes since, and they check my VPS daily to see if its functioning, if its not they send me an email and force a reboot, so I get an email log of any downtimes I may have, which is really a nice bonus. lets me know if my server is down for any reason with an automated email, how cool is that?
My Facebook Profile

chillin
Average Post Ranks%:                       
05-21-06 12:11 PM - Post#33956    

bubazoo- i totally agree, and when my year is up i'll likely get a VPS somewhere.

from the hosts point of view though, i can see why certain fuctions like this one are disabled.... and when there is a valid work-around like curl, it really doesn't bother me too much.. besides, how much can you complain when you are only paying about $8 per month for 20GB of disk space, unlimitted domains, and terabytes of transfer?!
timmyc
chinooktc.com

chillin
Average Post Ranks%:                       
05-21-06 12:27 PM - Post#33958    

In response to chillin

Patrick-
I posted a fix for the dreamhost rss issue on your original thread:

http://www.fusionbb.com/forum/showtopic....
timmyc
chinooktc.com

White and Nerdy
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       
05-21-06 06:56 PM - Post#33962    

In response to chillin

yeah, for web hosting providers interested in offering VPS's to their customers, they should check out this website for more details

http://www.virtuozzo.com/

its a real interesting concept. Not sure what the cost of the software is though, for a hosting provider its probably not so bad I immagine.

The VZPP (virtuozzo power panel) allows u to install plesk right from a link, but I wanted cpanel instead of plesk on my VPS, so they had cpanel put on instead I just pay $7/month for the license.
My Facebook Profile

Dan
Alpha Tester
Average Post Ranks%:                       

11-20-06 09:49 AM - Post#37527    

In response to chillin

• chillin Said:

Me too now
www.parent-forum.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter

PatrickD
FusionBB Contributor
Average Post Ranks%:                       
11-25-06 01:18 AM - Post#37764    

In response to Dan

• TheDaddy Said:
  • chillin Said:

Me too now

Have you had any DreamHost/FusionBB compatibility issues?
-PatrickD

Dave
FusionBB Zealot
Total Posts: 8913
Average Post Ranks%:                       
11-25-06 01:32 AM - Post#37767    

In response to PatrickD

Patrick I think that dreamhost doesn't allow urls in the fopen() function or any other functions that can use the url wrappers. So there are issues with fetching rss feeds and mpp will not function either.

But they may have changed that now? I know these issues were mentioned by someone here before about dreamhost. They do have the curl library available and implementing it's use isn't all that hard. I just didn't have the time to do so for 2.0

If we can get a week out from beta 4 and all is going good remind me to create some modified scripts that dreamhost users can drop into place to fix the dependencies.
Need a PHP5 - Zend Certified Engineer?
Connect with me on Linked

Dan
Alpha Tester
Average Post Ranks%:                       

11-26-06 02:48 PM - Post#37830    

In response to Dave

I did have some problems at first. When I first moved over to Chillin's server I was running B3 and there were a few things that did not work, it was becauase of a couple of settings that were not to turned on\off in the settings. After a couple of tests its set just right now and I have not problems.
www.parent-forum.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter

PatrickD
FusionBB Contributor
Average Post Ranks%:                       
11-27-06 01:22 PM - Post#37962    

In response to Dave

• Dave Said:
Patrick I think that dreamhost doesn't allow urls in the fopen() function or any other functions that can use the url wrappers. So there are issues with fetching rss feeds and mpp will not function either.

Yeah, someone posted a fix for the RSS fetching a while back and that has worked for me, but there are still some other issues I've encountered like fetching avatars.

At any rate, I'll be giving the beta a test run once I get some free time. We'll see how that goes...
-PatrickD

Dave
FusionBB Zealot
Average Post Ranks%:                       
11-27-06 01:44 PM - Post#37970    

In response to PatrickD

I'll be adding cURL support in 2.1 to help with some of the dreamhost issues but there are functions that simply wont be able to utilize cURL. Remote image resizing is one of them.

Don
FusionBB Enthusiast
Total Posts: 409
Birthday: 08-18 
Average Post Ranks%:                       
12-04-06 03:30 PM - Post#38528    

In response to Dave

I use my company for the customer I have running Fusion (that I also admin the board for) so I'm prejudiced. But I can tell you Fusion is very server friendly and efficient. I don't have any VB clients but compared to SMF and ESPECIALLY phpBB it is smooth & far less resource intensive on the hardware. They have a fairly active forum, quite a few photos etc. and it never pushes anything-CPU, RAM, no heavy- resource hits at all.
I've checked them with as many as 100 concurrent users on-line and it wasn't even starting to work hard. (That's an unusually peak time for them, they usually run around 5-15 and the loads aren't even noticeable), can't wait to see 2.0 since some folks are saying it's even faster-better.

New Idea Hosting: Honesty, Dependability, No-Overselling!

Don
FusionBB Enthusiast
Average Post Ranks%:                       
12-04-06 03:46 PM - Post#38532    

• bubazoo Said:
thanks according to their website, the $8 price is only if you pay for 24 months at a time, and the "unmetered" bandwidth makes me nervous
its like $12 monthly, which still isn't bad, but still unmetered kinda bothers me

Remember "unmetered" doesn't mean you can use all you want, they just don't "meter" it...if a box has a P4 and one 10mb port with 300 sites on it, unmetered doesn't mean much...
You won't see the servers with 4 duals and 12+ GB RAM offering unmetered on 2 or 3 1gb connections because too much bandwidth could go through "unmetered"...that's the trick.
I recommend These guys for VPS. They have unparalleled support 24/7/365 and don't overload their VPS boxes (and run Virtuozzo with VPP) I have one just for running PHP5.2 MySQL 5 etc. on to play with....(and I break it a LOT )

PatrickD
FusionBB Contributor
Average Post Ranks%:                       
12-07-06 05:06 PM - Post#38894    

In response to Dave

• Dave Said:
I'll be adding cURL support in 2.1 to help with some of the dreamhost issues but there are functions that simply wont be able to utilize cURL. Remote image resizing is one of them.

FYI: Upon a fresh install of 2.0 (which I figured I'd try before doing an upgrade), I got the following lines marked "FAILED" on my DreamHost-hosted domain:

URL-aware fopen wrappers have been disabled in php.ini...
PHP function fsockopen() use... (required for mpp and rss)
PHP function exec() use... (required for imagemagick)
PHP function getimagesize() use... (required for remote image resizing)
PHP function file_get_contents() use... (required for rss fetching)
-PatrickD

Claude
FusionBB Fanatic
Total Posts: 1440
Average Post Ranks%:                       
12-07-06 05:16 PM - Post#38895    

In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:
  • Dave Said:

FYI: Upon a fresh install of 2.0 (which I figured I'd try before doing an upgrade), I got the following lines marked "FAILED" on my DreamHost-hosted domain:

URL-aware fopen wrappers have been disabled in php.ini...
PHP function fsockopen() use... (required for mpp and rss)
PHP function exec() use... (required for imagemagick)
PHP function getimagesize() use... (required for remote image resizing)
PHP function file_get_contents() use... (required for rss fetching)

This will fix it: Link

Dave
FusionBB Zealot
Average Post Ranks%:                       
12-07-06 05:51 PM - Post#38899    

In response to PatrickD

I got the curl wrapper class in place for 2.1 and it seems to be working well. If the cURL library is available then it will be used.

I probably should fix that display the installer gave you. The exec() command doesn't use the fopen wrappers. The remote image resizing does though so getimagesize() will not work. In 2.1 I did away with file_get_contents() completely so that's not an issue but regardless, MPP and RSS should now work with cURL if it's available.

PatrickD
FusionBB Contributor
Average Post Ranks%:                       
12-07-06 10:38 PM - Post#38907    

In response to Claude

• Claude Said:
This will fix it: Link

Har har. I'm NOT changing web hosts just for this.

• Dave Said:
I got the curl wrapper class in place for 2.1 and it seems to be working well. If the cURL library is available then it will be used.

Glad to hear it.
-PatrickD

DreamersEmpire
FusionBB Enthusiast
Total Posts: 495
Average Post Ranks%:                       
12-09-06 10:43 PM - Post#39114    

In response to PatrickD

Just chiming in finally. I'm now dedicated server on Vertex. I cant say enough good things about Vertex, Billy & Josh. I'm no expert but side-by-side to other ones I looked at they were not only far and away best, but their support through transition was tremendous.

KFX
16 Year Old Graphics Guru
Total Posts: 912
Birthday: 04-04 
Average Post Ranks%:                       

12-17-06 11:21 AM - Post#39627    

In response to DreamersEmpire

I'm on Vertex

CraigW
Alpha Tester
Total Posts: 115
Birthday: 02-18 
Average Post Ranks%:                       
12-17-06 07:44 PM - Post#39692    

In response to KFX

I have a couple of accounts with PowWeb.

Not the greatest, but they are good enough for me.

Lots of disc space and the price is right.

Cheers
Craig

White and Nerdy
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       
01-03-07 07:02 PM - Post#41290    

In response to CraigW

but whoever host you choose, it will make your hosting experience MUCH easier if you have

cpanel (Fantastico + RVSkin are also nice things to have)

For one main reason, if you ever have to switch hosts, cpanel has included scripts that will both backup, and transfer, your site to a new host, or server, on demand, which really is a time saver.

I also recommend some other preferences. For instance, I wouldn't even THINK about a host that doesn't offer paypal monthly billing. Even when you 'think' you can fully trust a host with your credit card information, you never know these days, so I highly recommend a host that has paypal monthly billing. I've had my CC# stolen by a host before, actually had it happen to me a couple of times, never got reimbursed for any of it either, its not fun, trust me

Also, remember, web hosts are a dime a dozen these days. I've probably been with 20 different hosts in my internet lifetime. There are alot of bad hosts out there, but there are also alot of good hosts too, if there is something you don't like about your host, switch, there is no reason not to. The web hosting business is a 'huge' market nowadays, and a competitive one, but if you don't have cpanel, it will be a real pain to backup all your mysql stuff and reupload everything to the new server, thats why I can't live without cpanel, even when I don't plan on switching hosts, I always have a backup of my site zipped up in a file, just in case files, mysql databases, email, everything, done for me on a schedule, so when the unexpected happens, its taken care of

I'm not saying stay away from any one in particular, just saying, whoever you decide to go with, remember hosts are a dime a dozen these days.

I can't vouch for Vertex, as I've never tried them, I don't think there is any one host I would vouch for at this point, but whoever you choose, do your homework, read the reviews at http://www.webhostingtalk.com and http://www.hostingassured.findmyhosting.... for their ratings. ask lots of questions, the more you know, the better off you'll be.
My Facebook Profile

greg
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       

01-04-07 06:31 AM - Post#41347    

Well, I CAN vouch for VertexHost! I've tried cheap hosts, EXPENSIVE hosts and the guys at VertexHost, while not the cheapest, most certain have offered OUTSTANDING dependability and CUSTOMER SERVICE. To me, these are the 2 most important features of a web site hosting company. Yes, I pay a bit more, but when I have a problem it's fixed in a very timely fashion.

American Patriots

Tombstone Pictures

Claude
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       
01-04-07 06:33 PM - Post#41383    

In response to greg

• greg Said:
Well, I CAN vouch for VertexHost! I've tried cheap hosts, EXPENSIVE hosts and the guys at VertexHost, while not the cheapest, most certain have offered OUTSTANDING dependability and CUSTOMER SERVICE. To me, these are the 2 most important features of a web site hosting company. Yes, I pay a bit more, but when I have a problem it's fixed in a very timely fashion.

I could not agree more! You get what you pay for, but with Vertex, I feel I get more than I pay for when it comes to customer service.

All the money you save with those "discount" hosts doesn't mean much when you have a problem and there's nobody there to fix it. Vertex is always there!

Excelsior
FusionBB Convert
Total Posts: 64
Average Post Ranks%:                       

01-05-07 08:45 PM - Post#41465    

In response to Claude

dunno if I posted in here yet. But I use and LOVE hostrocket.com

White and Nerdy
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       
01-07-07 12:37 PM - Post#41556    

In response to Excelsior

yeah we agree on that much at least there greg that paying more for a better host and better customer service is definitely a good thing to look for in a host

I was just trying to speak in general terms, as I think most everyone has their favorite hosting provider. I'm glad you guys have a host you like, thats a wonderful thing

I would probably say the same about my wifes host http://www.knownhost.com they too have excellent customer service and great response times. I think the only reason I didn't go with them, was because I couldn't afford to pay for their services for what my requirements are, so I went with http://www.futurehosting.biz because I got a good deal with them for being a webhostingtalk regular member, but they too have had great customer support, and have received much more then what I pay for in return, so it just goes to show, there are alot of good hosts out there.

What people need to know, are the essentials, like what I described above, about what to look for in a host, because one host isn't for everybody grographical location and a host that speaks your native language is also a factor to keep in mind also, so when choosing a host u really have to do your homework
My Facebook Profile

sagar
Total Posts: 16
Average Post Ranks%:                       
01-30-07 06:32 AM - Post#42829    

I am using http://fluidhosting.com little pricier than market norm but excellent service and uptime

Dave
FusionBB Zealot
Average Post Ranks%:                       
01-30-07 10:04 AM - Post#42841    

In response to sagar

Those are pretty decent rates I think.

Dan
Alpha Tester
Average Post Ranks%:                       

02-19-07 08:46 AM - Post#43371    

In response to Ian

• Ian Said:
My own

Me too now
www.parent-forum.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter

White and Nerdy
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       
02-24-07 11:28 AM - Post#43527    

In response to Dan

I wish I could, but I am with Comcast, and can't run a server from home here full time as I would like.

I do have a spare machine I run as a test server every now and then, that has LAMP installed on it and all that, but that is all I am allowed to run, due to Comcast's EULA terms of service agreement.

I had thought about going dedicated, but price was always an issue, esp when even the cheapest of servers runs you $50-$100 monthly, and thats just for the server and bandwidth itself. the licenses for the software you run on it is more yet, although alot of places come with bundled plans, still way more then what I can afford.

so thats the main reason I went with a VPS solution, because I wanted dedicated, but can't afford it, and a VPS is like dedicated, er semi-dedicated, at half the price. in fact some of 'em put reseller plans to shame.
My Facebook Profile

mpnev
FusionBB Contributor
Total Posts: 148
Birthday: 06-20 
Average Post Ranks%:                       
06-03-07 04:40 PM - Post#45475    

i was on a shared server and wanted to go dedicated, but i can't afford that... so i'm now in the process of switching over to a VPS through midphase... i'll follow up and let you all know how it goes

TwoonTwo
FusionBB Contributor
Total Posts: 131
Birthday: 09-24 
Average Post Ranks%:                       

06-07-07 07:16 PM - Post#45662    

In response to mpnev

The team at VertexHost is wonderful.

I was very anxious about moving my web site to a new host. I was using Verio for over 9 years. Unfortunately, their service and reliability took a down swing and I started looking for a new host. I spoke with Billy at VertexHost and he delivered everything he said.

Billy clearly communicated to me all aspects of the transfer and he was so helpful. Other businesses should take a look at VertexHost and see what real customer service is!

5 Stars out of 5!

greg
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       

06-07-07 11:32 PM - Post#45674    

In response to TwoonTwo

• TwoonTwo Said:
The team at VertexHost is wonderful.

I was very anxious about moving my web site to a new host. I was using Verio for over 9 years. Unfortunately, their service and reliability took a down swing and I started looking for a new host. I spoke with Billy at VertexHost and he delivered everything he said.

Billy clearly communicated to me all aspects of the transfer and he was so helpful. Other businesses should take a look at VertexHost and see what real customer service is!

5 Stars out of 5!

I've said it before and will continue to say it. VertexHost isn't the cheapest, and they aren't the most expensive, but by gosh in my opinion they are the BEST! I've never had a support problem with them. I turn in a support ticket and either Billy or Josh has the problem resolved in under an hour, sometimes in as little as 20 minutes. Not to mention that their servers are optimized for Fusion!

American Patriots

Tombstone Pictures

Scorpio
FusionBB Addict
Total Posts: 661
Birthday: 11-17 
Average Post Ranks%:                       

06-08-07 12:13 AM - Post#45675    

In response to greg

Six months with a dedicated server at VertexHost.

I'm very happy and would suggest them for hosting a dedicated box.
Tony
Owner and General Manager
ChevyTalk - The Worlds Largest Online Chevy Community
www.chevytalk.org
Need a professional email marketing tool to supplement your message forum?

mpnev
FusionBB Contributor
Average Post Ranks%:                       
06-15-07 03:27 AM - Post#45949    

In response to Scorpio

a lot of vertex host love... i've canceled my account with midphase, as they couldn't get everything running smoothly in almost 2 weeks now... i might have to check out vertex

Couchtomatoe
Code Monkey
Total Posts: 3049
Birthday: 02-03 
Average Post Ranks%:                       

06-15-07 08:17 AM - Post#45951    

In response to mpnev

Vertexhost convert here...
The artist formerly known as scroungr
Couch-Tomatoe

Stephen
Mostly Harmless
Total Posts: 2514
Birthday: 11-26 
Average Post Ranks%:                       

06-15-07 12:10 PM - Post#45954    

In response to Couchtomatoe

Any one willing to go halfsyzs with me on a dedicated server via Vertexhost? I am at a cross roads wondering if my performance would be better served if I had a dedicated box for my site and a few low yield standard web sites.

I know there are about < 25 other sites on the my current server (everest) and I am not certain of their usage, I know when Billy and Josh put sites on servers they consider which sites would be better paired together on one server. So you don't put too many resource hogs on one box.

I currently have a resellers account so if I decided to upgrade to a dedicated box I would be willing to take on a limited number of other sites - keeping it limited to only a few server intensive sites. And at the same time keeping the price point affordable.

Thoughts?
Stephen Dolenski
FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
FM Forums.com Administrator

mpnev
FusionBB Contributor
Average Post Ranks%:                       
06-16-07 12:36 AM - Post#45986    

In response to Stephen

well, i wish i saw this before i created an account. i just signed up with vertex i would have considered this

Claude
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       
06-16-07 12:53 AM - Post#45987    

In response to Couchtomatoe

• Couchtomatoe Said:
Vertexhost convert here...

Me too. Not the cheapest, just the best.

mpnev
FusionBB Contributor
Average Post Ranks%:                       
06-17-07 04:28 AM - Post#46018    

In response to mpnev

WOW... i just ordered an account with vertexhost and instantly everything worked ok... plus my nameservers already changed over - same day...

my forum is zooming now, thank goodness... can't wait to get the fusionbb forum up and running

greg
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       

06-17-07 09:51 AM - Post#46021    

In response to mpnev

Welcome to BOTH Fusion and VertexHosting. I've been using both for quite sometime now and just can't say enough good about both of them.

American Patriots

Tombstone Pictures

JoshPet
FusionBB Developer
Total Posts: 6726
Birthday: 02-08 
Average Post Ranks%:                       

06-17-07 12:28 PM - Post#46023    

In response to greg

Welcome to both Vertex and FusionBB!

Feel Better, Feel Younger, Sleep Better - Trans-D Tropin
Visit www.BuyTransD.com - use coupon code 1004 to save $20

TwoonTwo
FusionBB Contributor
Total Posts: 131
Birthday: 09-24 
Average Post Ranks%:                       

06-17-07 02:01 PM - Post#46027    

In response to mpnev

I'm also a new customer of both. You're going to love the customer service.

JoshPet
FusionBB Developer
Total Posts: 6726
Birthday: 02-08 
Average Post Ranks%:                       

06-17-07 02:03 PM - Post#46028    

In response to TwoonTwo

Welcome! We appreciate it!!!

Feel Better, Feel Younger, Sleep Better - Trans-D Tropin
Visit www.BuyTransD.com - use coupon code 1004 to save $20

greg
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       

06-17-07 04:44 PM - Post#46035    

In response to JoshPet

Let me add my latest experience with VertexHost and VertexBilly.

Last weekend he moved me over to a new and improved server. It was only supposed to take a couple of hours during the middle of the night. BUT, due to a problem with my old server under reporting the size of my database, and another customer's usage spiking, well, things didn't go even close to as planned. Through out it all, Billy kept me informed constantly on the progress, what was causing the delays, etc. He also checked my various databases to make sure they were all connecting and if not, he put things in place to make sure people could connect until everything sorted themselves out. I ended up with one program that doesn't work on the new server, but it's because I have an older version of the program and need to upgrade it to work with the newer version of PHP my server is running. Bottom line, I was and am very satisfied with all the work Billy did on it as he was up all night long and into the next day babysitting the thing to get my site back up and running.

With the new server, my site is ROCKIN' now as far as speed goes!

American Patriots

Tombstone Pictures

Edited by greg on 06-17-07 04:44 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mpnev
FusionBB Contributor
Average Post Ranks%:                       
06-17-07 07:34 PM - Post#46047    

In response to greg

yah, i'm noticing a remarkable difference in speed immediately.

i worked all night friday and all day/night saturday to get all my files and DB figured out and moved over... it was well worth it... everything went smooth as silk

i'm so glad i found them through this site

VertexBilly
FusionBB Addict
Total Posts: 875
Average Post Ranks%:                       

06-17-07 09:26 PM - Post#46055    

In response to mpnev

Hi Mpnev,

I am glad you are seeing an increase in speed.

Welcome to Fusion and to VertexHost

Billy Cooter
Managing Partner, VertexHost.com

mpnev
FusionBB Contributor
Average Post Ranks%:                       
06-20-07 08:02 PM - Post#46219    

In response to VertexBilly

thanks billy

FYI - billy is FAST in responding to issues!!!

Vertex has helped this be a smooth transition... thank you kindly!

sb1962
FusionBB Fanatic
Total Posts: 1643
Average Post Ranks%:                       

09-07-07 09:36 AM - Post#71763    

In response to mpnev

I'm with Crosswinds on a shared server for $113 per year. Certainly the cheaper end of the market but my site is non-commercial with just one pre-paid banner & donations to cover cost of hosting etc. There only appears to be 2 people in the company with one (the CEO) who is hands-on with the hardware. I've been pleased with the service & although their website isn't up to much in appearance or updates their email support is good. We just had a free doubling of space to 3000mb, useful as the move to FBB with photo uploads will take more.

The basics:

Free Domain Registration/Transfer, 3000 MB Web Space, 75000 MB Transfer, Unlimited Email Addresses, 25 MySQL database, Unlimited SubDomains, Unlimited FTP Account, CGI-BIN/Perl/PHP, FrontPage, 1 Email List, 3 Parked Domains, 0 AddOn Domains

Don
FusionBB Enthusiast
Average Post Ranks%:                       
12-19-07 05:19 PM - Post#74738    

In response to sb1962

I use me... but then that's because I'm affiliated with the organization that I run Fusion for and also host their 3 sites. So hosting Fusion is no problem and we have all the goodies like the best ant-spam/anti-virus available, firewall/long-since cPanel 11, choice of PHP 4 or 5, and mainly no overselling period.
But I am no coder so I do not offer Fusion or any other "3rd party" specific support and because of my disabilities I prefer "low maintenance" customers who don't need rapid support at 3 am etc.
But we can handle Fusion's demands easily (it's really coded well so it's easy on the servers) and also if you know anyone who needs a great DIY site builder we offer the best on the market as a freebie.
I'm definitely a "niche" guy (no 24/7 fast support and I as I said I don't offer 3rd party support even for Fusion but I keep good equipment/latest software/high uptime and uncrowded boxes on fast ports from Equinix in Chicago so you can e-mail if you have questions and just need a basic, solid, host. (No shell access-security comes first)

PS: By latest I don't mean "bleeding edge" but soon I'll fire up a box with Apache 2 and the latest MySQL so I can start seeing the things I'll need to be working on for when they become the standard instead of just the newest.

(and Josh if this is inappropriate just delete it, didn't see it in the rules but don't mean to violate anything)

greg
FusionBB Fanatic
Average Post Ranks%:                       

01-22-08 09:34 PM - Post#75540    

In response to Don

Time for another huge THANK YOU BILLY AND VERTEXHOST! Post! Over the weekend I pretty much ran out of room for my Truckers Road account. An email to Billy had it solved in less than 24 hours. He set me up with a different plan that not only solved my current issue, but should keep me running without space issues for several years now. Once again I was reminded of why I use Vertex and keep on using them! You just can't beat their customer service, it has to be the best in the business.

American Patriots

Tombstone Pictures

GizzmoAsus
FusionBB Convert
Total Posts: 96
Birthday: 10-11 
Average Post Ranks%:                       

01-29-08 02:38 AM - Post#75740    

In response to greg

ElementalHosting, 1and1 and HostingHTML and I am slowly moving all my sites over to HostingHTML

Lam21
FusionBB Newbie
Total Posts: 2
Average Post Ranks%:                       
08-29-13 03:03 AM - Post#86412    

Hi White and Nerdy,
For the past two years,I am using XnYnZ.com for my web hosting at low price.They provide good service with reliability.

Edited by Lam21 on 08-29-13 03:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Calendar
SMTWTFS
Current Quote
"FusionBB... I haven't been this excited about Forum software, well... EVER!"
~ Zackary
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.237 seconds.   Total Queries: 1078   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-4). Current time is 10:26 AM