[FusionBB Versions: All]
On a server, a Cron Task is an automated task, which automatically executes on a recurring basis.
A typical cron task might send out email subscriptions daily to users who have subscribed to various topics. These are typically configured on your server or by your web host. Since not everyone has access to this functionality on their webservers, cron tasks have been built into the FusionBB software. This allows various tasks to automatically execute as needed.
The following list of crons is not meant to be 'all-inclusive', but is representative of crons that you might use/need to use on a recurring basis.
Cron Task Examples:
- Expire Bans -Since FusionBB has time-based bans, you will need to use this cron to review and restore access to users when bans expire.
- Expire Manual MPP Subscriptions -Use this cron to purge expired manual MPP subscriptions.
- Expire Moved -This cron will process and purge outdated MOVED and MERGED pointers.
- Expire Page Cache -If you are caching pages, using this cron will periodically purge the stored cached pages.
- Expire Private Topics -This cron will process and purge any outdated Private Topics.
- Expire Registrations -This will purge unverified user registrations.
- Expire Topics -Processes and purges outdated topics from forums.
- File Attachments -Periodically, this cron will purge file attachments for posts which never get finished or get deleted.
- Optimize Active Tables -Various database tables
which purge data regularly tend to show increased overhead. These
tables can be optimized automatically via this cron task.
- Queue Mail -This will process through any sent
mass emails. This cron is required for mass emails to work. Suggested
setting is direct 10. If you have many users, a mass email could be
load intense for this task, running via real cron is recommended.
- RSS Publication Generator -If you are publishing RSS feeds, periodically they need to be updated in order to stay current.
- RSS Subscriptions Fetch -If RSS feeds are included on your site, they will need to be updated periodically via this cron.
- Send Renewal Reminders -This cron will send PT Reminder notices to users a set number of days before a paid subscription is set to expire.
- Topic Subscriptions -This cron will process
and send emails for topic subscriptions. Suggested setting is direct
10. Since this runs frequently and if you have a lot of users or
subscriptions, running via real cron is recommended.
- Update Topic Views -To reduce load in FusionBB, rather than updating topic views in real time, they are cached and updated periodically via a cron task. To delay the insert of topic views, make sure the Update View Count option is NOT checked in your configuration settings.
- Unattached Polls -Use this cron to periodically purge polls from the database for posts which never get completed or get deleted.